The Multi-Agency safeguarding hub has been implemented to safeguard Torbay’s children and families. It aims to provide the highest level of knowledge and analysis of all known intelligence and information across the safeguarding partnership to ensure all safeguarding activity and intervention is timely, proportionate and necessary.
The vision is to identify and make safe at the earliest opportunity all vulnerable people in our communities through the sharing of information and intelligence across the safeguarding partnership.
Torbay’s MASH aims to provide a more consistent, timely and co-ordinated multi-agency response to individual situations relating to welfare and safeguarding concerns to children and young people. The intent is to improve the quality of information sharing between agencies in order that decision making can be both more effective and more robust.
Objectives of MASH include:
• Improved safeguarding decision making at the point of referral;
• Early identification of harm and risk;
• Improved interface with Early Help Services.
Torbay MASH has been developed in line with and supported by Torbay Council, Torbay’s Safeguarding Children Board, Devon and Cornwall Police, NHS England, Torbay Safeguarding Adults Board, Torbay Probation.
Torbay’s Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) will provide information sharing across all organisations involved in safeguarding – encompassing statutory, non-statutory and the third sector. Essentially the hub will analyse information that is already known within separate organisations in a coherent format to inform all safeguarding decisions. All partners will work together to provide the highest level of knowledge and analysis to make sure that all safeguarding activity and intervention is timely, proportionate and necessary.
What is a MASH?
MASH focuses on three main functions:
• Victim identification and early intervention – working with Early Help to support children and young people whose needs do not meet the threshold for Specialist Children’s’ Social Care Services;
• Harm identification and reduction – this will be done by identifying children and young people experiencing the highest level of harm and making sure partners work together to support them with harm reduction strategies and services;
• Co-ordinating partner agencies working with Adults at Risk and vulnerable children.
Who is in the MASH?
The MASH is a team of people who continue to be employed by their individual agencies but who are co-located in one office.
Torbay MASH is co-located on the 2nd floor of Tor Hill House, Torquay. Torbay MASH currently consists of:
- Children’s Social Care;
- The Police Central Safeguarding Team (CST);
- Safeguarding Health team;
- Education Social Workers;
- Adult Social Care;
- Probation (virtual link)
Making a MASH contact/referral
Referrals must be made to the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) in one of the following ways:
- In writing, using the Safeguarding Hub Enquiry Form; this can be emailed to Torbay.email@example.com;
- By telephone, to Children’s Social Care on 01803 208100;
- In an emergency outside office hours, by contacting the Emergency Duty Team or the Police;
- If the child is known to have an allocated social worker, referrals should be made directly to the allocated worker or, in her/his absence, the manager or a duty officer in that team.
For further information please read the Torbay MASH Operational Procedures.
Torbay Safeguarding Hub Referral Form can be found here.
For information in respect of the Torbay Early Help Service, please follow this link.